[Movie Review] : Warcraft The Beginning (2016)

6:35 AM

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

So two days ago I went to cinema with my cousin. We often go to cinema, but this time was different. We have planned this for so long, even when the movie was only rumor. We've waiting for this movie-a bit inpatient, to be honest-and the it finally coming!




Me and my cousin, we are kinda Warcraft's big fan. We've played the game since middle school. We played it on my computer (we play Warcraft III), always play side by side, for hours. After that we always talked how good the story was, who was the best hero character, and can't wait for the next story. I remember the time I read the wiki and translated every word for him, because we cannot afford any World of Warcraft game. I remember how we enjoyed those time.

I remember how we promised to each other that, if Warcraft became a movie, we will watch it together (plus he will carry me on his back at cinema)

Years passed, we've grown up. The passion for Warcraft began to endure. I'm busy with college, he is busy with his club at high school. But deep in our heart, we still waiting.

Now the movie finally come out. Imagine how we feel that time. Happy like silly orc. We did as we promised, we go to cinema together, and he carry me on the way to the ticket place.

Enough with the welling-up-with-tears flashback. Let's get to the review.

So this movie tells story about the beginning, when orcs begin entered the land of Azeroth. Led by Gul'dan (Daniel Wu), who can control Fel, they build a great gate to enter Azeroth. Gul'dan planned to invade Azeroth by send orc war-bands.

One of the orc's clan chieftain is Durotan of the Frostwolves clan (Toby Kebbel). He and his pregnant wife, Draka, join the war band, hoping to get a new home, since their homeland is dying. And the journey to invade Azeroth, begin.

Durotan, chieftain of Frostwolves clan, and Orgrim Doomhammer


Meanwhile, in Stormwind, a human commander named Anduin Lothar (Travis Fimmel) heard news about strange invaders who attack some villages. Some survivor said that these invaders are giant-like, brutal, they ride giant wolves like wind. A Kirin-Tor apprentice named Khadgar (Ben Schnetzer) discovered something from one body. He found Fel. Khadgar told Lothar to summon The Guardian, Medivh (Ben Foster), as soon as possible, because Fel is more than usual threat.

King Llane (Dominic Cooper) summoned Medivh. After that, he commands a group, led by Lothar to investigate what actually these strange invaders are. Together with Khadgar and Medivh, they begin to track the invaders.

Lothar's group was attacked

Unfortunately their troops was attacked by Blackhand's group. But with Medivh's power, they can dragged the orcs back, and with that, a prisoner. A half-blooded orc named Garona (Paula Patton). Garona told the humans what the orcs actually seeking.

Along with that, Durotan felt that something was wrong with Gul'dan's plan. He felt like they're not trying to find new home, but destroy it. He started to Together with his right-hand, Orgrim Doomhammer, Durotan started to do something that would change Azeroth forever...

As a Warcraft fan, I really enjoyed the movie so far. I don't mind how the character looks as long as the story goes well. For me, who haven't played Warcraft I and II, this movie give me a clear story line about how orcs first entered Azeroth. I didn't know most of the characters (I know some famous character like Durotan and Gul'dan), until I watched this movie.

Lothar and Garona

Many little details give game-like feel, which I really enjoyed. Details like, leading troops trough the woods, and how the armor is like game became reality. One of my favorite is the spell effects. It just like came out directly from the game.

The way this movie showed the sceneries of Azeroth is very great. I like how the showed Kirin-Tor. Every buildings and cities are majestic. Standing applause for the special effects team for their hardwork.

Kirin-Tor, city of Wizards
Stormwind Capital


Breathaking sceneries and animation doesn't make Warcraft lose its story and character improvements. The plot went very well to me. The characters too. I love how they give a special touch for Durotan. His eyes are full of feelings, make me feel how he feel about his clan, and the future of his son. Travis Fimmel as Lothar give great performance. Even a bit stiff at the beginning, but at the end, Lothar won my sympathy.

For Warcraft fan who play the game, this movie is great. But, I think, for the one who never know or play Warcraft before, maybe...this movie is like a machine gun. Sprouting characters, story, places before explain what actually happened. Before they understand about Durotan, they threwed to Stormwind to meet Lothar, to meet Medivh, and so on.

Lothat and King Llane


And what disturb me is, why the movie didn't explain about what Medivh did? And Garona's improvements, from independent and strong hearted women to much of feelings is too fast for me. That's the only problem. Other than that, I love this movie so much!

I give rate 8/10 for this movie. Overall, despite the critics, this movie manage to satisfy Warcraft fan who wait for this moment for so long (like me!)

See you on the next post :)


Director   : Duncan Jones
Adapted from: Warcraft by Blizzard
Music composed by: Ramin Djawadi
Cast: Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe